FIRST REFORMED CHURCH | Sheldon, IA

Building God's Kingdom One Life At A Time

About Us

OUR CHURCH HISTORY:  WELCOME to First Reformed Church of Sheldon, Iowa!  The Lord set us on our journey together on April 23, 1895 when nine families and four single persons began to meet together for worship.  We used the sanctuary of another church for our first four years but then built our first church structure in October of 1899.  God blessed First Reformed and we grew to the point that it was evident that we needed a larger church and sanctuary so the lot was purchased on our present location.  A new, wood frame church was built and dedicated on May 16, 1912.  By 1950, the congregation had grown to 225 families and once again, the need for a new and larger facility was recognized.  The wood frame church was razed and our present facility was constructed.  It was built by all volunteer workers from the congregation, something that is perhaps unheard of today.  This facility was dedicated on August 19, 1952.  By 1972, our congregation had grown to 350 families with 650 communicant members and 340 baptized members.  The Fellowship Hall and kitchen were constructed and dedicated in 1972 as well.  During these 116 years of ministry, First Reformed Church has been led by 20 different pastors.  

Perhaps First Reformed can best be described by our “Core Values”.  We are CHRIST CENTERED – Jesus is Savior and Lord.  The Bible is THE WORD OF GOD, our final authority in faith and life.  We are dependent upon the power and guidance of THE HOLY SPIRIT as we seek to fulfill the mission of Jesus Christ in the world.  That mission is TRANSFORMATIONAL – Jesus Christ makes all things new.  We are a congregation that REACHES OUT through relevant word and actions to extend God’s love and grace.  And finally, we always strive for UNITY AND PEACE within the church and with those outside the church.  A warm welcome and a place to belong awaits you here at First Reformed Church.  We hope to meet you soon.